McAfee change - new web page - no more free .dat files?
CandyFan
2004-08-22 11:45:15 UTC
Looks like McAfee has changed their web page. It's been possible to
manually go in and download the latest anti-virus .dat files in the
past. Looks like they've stopped offering this - you now have to
subscribe and/or pay somehow for everything.

Is this correct?

CF-
Ionizer
2004-08-22 12:17:22 UTC
Post by CandyFan
Looks like McAfee has changed their web page. It's been possible to
manually go in and download the latest anti-virus .dat files in the
past. Looks like they've stopped offering this - you now have to
subscribe and/or pay somehow for everything.
Is this correct?
I'm not sure. If you go to
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=31&resolution=1024x768&rurl=&rqs=
and click on "How do I update the VirusScan engine with the SuperDAT
utility" you are taken to a page offering this direct download link for
the current SuperDAT file:
http://download.mcafee.com/updates/superDat.asp?real=0

Is that what you were looking for?

Regards,
Ian.
CandyFan
2004-08-26 03:11:07 UTC
Post by Ionizer
Post by CandyFan
Looks like McAfee has changed their web page. It's been possible to
manually go in and download the latest anti-virus .dat files in the
past. Looks like they've stopped offering this - you now have to
subscribe and/or pay somehow for everything.
Is this correct?
I'm not sure. If you go to
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/default.asp?siteID=31&resolution=1024x768&rurl=&rqs=
and click on "How do I update the VirusScan engine with the SuperDAT
utility" you are taken to a page offering this direct download link for
http://download.mcafee.com/updates/superDat.asp?real=0
Is that what you were looking for?
Regards,
Ian.
Thanks to all for the feedback. Question perhaps needs to be
redefined.

Formerly, you could go into McAfee and download new .dat files
"manually". It took some doing, since McAfee much prefers to have
everyone doing it "automatically" via their settings. But if you
bypassed all of the McAfee road signs to "download here", etc., you
eventually could find them and download them manually - in other
words, whenever you wanted to update, you could update the .dat files.

I've been doing it manually for several years. It now appears you can
no longer do that? It appears you have to register, sign up, pay a
fee, etc. Then, it also appears you have to download the updated .dat
files automatically. They do not give you a choice anymore.

All of this assumes one has the latest search engines with McAfee,
such as 7.0 or 8.0.

Is this correct or have I missed something here?

CF-

David H. Lipman
2004-08-22 17:15:36 UTC
That's just a disclaimer for retail product users.

McAfee DAT files are always easily obtained via FTP...

ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/

Dave

David H. Lipman
2004-08-23 00:31:41 UTC
Direct email from McAfee on this topic. Received ~2/4/04
~~~

Updating DAT files is more important than ever. We have made some
changes to how you access these downloads going forward to ensure your
products are supported and updated as they need to be.

Customers downloading Engine/DATs packages from the NAI Downloads page
will now be informed of the need to have a Prime Support License Agreement
with NAI as they enter the download process. When choosing one of the
packages to download from this page you will be asked to verify you have a
Prime Support License Agreement with NAI and to either agreeing or
disagree to to that statement.

Upon agreement you will then be directed to the DAT file youâ?Tve asked to
download. If you disagree you will not have access to the files and will
need to purchase a Prime Support Agreement in order to gain access.

Our goal is to continue to provide you with the best protection available,
and at the same time provide our customers with a set of services that are
backed by our award winning Support and Service team.

We appreciate your cooperation, and understanding of this new process.

Best Regards,

McAfee AVERT - Anti Virus Research, Analysis, and Outbreak Management
visit us at www.avertlabs.com

~~~

Me
2004-08-23 15:26:39 UTC
Don't understand, I just went to
http://download.mcafee.com/updates/4xa.asp?real=0
and was able to download the latest DAT file with no redirection
Peacekeeper
2004-08-23 22:09:32 UTC
It depends on the path you take
I used to go to www.nai.com choose downloads and get to the dats. Now there
is a you must have a prime support licence to accesss these dats.Admitedly
you must choose small and medium businesss path to get to the
http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/downloads/updates/default.asp
download area.

the ftp path above works fine.
David H. Lipman
2004-08-23 22:47:55 UTC
I wonder....

Is the Domain "NAI.Com" going away since the Sniffer divesture and the regrouping and
concentration on McAfee as the core of its products ?

Dave