performance of McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8i
f***@isam-ag.de
2005-05-17 16:27:15 UTC

as user of Version 7.0 of their scanner, I upgraded to version 8i and
I'm shocked about the poor performance of this scanner!

I've installed it onto three test stations (all like Pentium III 550MHz,
not the fastest machine, but not the slowest also) and all stations are
much slower than before.

- on access scanning with "scan compressed files" enabled is horrible
when starting java-like applications (like firefox or Novell ConsoleOne)

- excluding jar-files does not work, I have to disable the above noted
option completely

- on demand scan job (even without scanning of compressed files) takes
approx. double the time than before with v7 (and v7 did scanning of
compressed files!)

- scanner and ePoAgent are not only slow, when they are busy they block
the whole workstation for several seconds! This is really annoying.

- I've already disabled all new features (script scanning and so on) but
no success

- I've already talk to support, but they had no clues how to fix the
situation

I like to know if this an isolated problem here or if the new scanner
(with old scan engine 4.400) is indeed this much slower than the old
one.

Thanks in advance,

Bye, Frank
David H. Lipman
2005-05-17 16:34:27 UTC
From: <***@isam-ag.de>

| Hi,
|
| as user of Version 7.0 of their scanner, I upgraded to version 8i and
| I'm shocked about the poor performance of this scanner!
|
| I've installed it onto three test stations (all like Pentium III 550MHz,
| not the fastest machine, but not the slowest also) and all stations are
| much slower than before.
|
| - on access scanning with "scan compressed files" enabled is horrible
| when starting java-like applications (like firefox or Novell ConsoleOne)
|
| - excluding jar-files does not work, I have to disable the above noted
| option completely
|
| - on demand scan job (even without scanning of compressed files) takes
| approx. double the time than before with v7 (and v7 did scanning of
| compressed files!)
|
| - scanner and ePoAgent are not only slow, when they are busy they block
| the whole workstation for several seconds! This is really annoying.
|
| - I've already disabled all new features (script scanning and so on) but
| no success
|
| - I've already talk to support, but they had no clues how to fix the
| situation
|
| I like to know if this an isolated problem here or if the new scanner
| (with old scan engine 4.400) is indeed this much slower than the old
| one.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Bye, Frank

McAfee VirusScan V7.1E is faster than VirusScan v8.0i. The resource utilization for the IDS
is high.

I used a PIII slot 1 650MHz CPU on Win2K when i tested it. I like v7.1E *much* better.
--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
David H. Lipman
2005-05-17 16:39:59 UTC
From: <***@isam-ag.de>

| Hi,
|
| as user of Version 7.0 of their scanner, I upgraded to version 8i and
| I'm shocked about the poor performance of this scanner!
|
| I've installed it onto three test stations (all like Pentium III 550MHz,
| not the fastest machine, but not the slowest also) and all stations are
| much slower than before.
|
| - on access scanning with "scan compressed files" enabled is horrible
| when starting java-like applications (like firefox or Novell ConsoleOne)
|
| - excluding jar-files does not work, I have to disable the above noted
| option completely
|
| - on demand scan job (even without scanning of compressed files) takes
| approx. double the time than before with v7 (and v7 did scanning of
| compressed files!)
|
| - scanner and ePoAgent are not only slow, when they are busy they block
| the whole workstation for several seconds! This is really annoying.
|
| - I've already disabled all new features (script scanning and so on) but
| no success
|
| - I've already talk to support, but they had no clues how to fix the
| situation
|
| I like to know if this an isolated problem here or if the new scanner
| (with old scan engine 4.400) is indeed this much slower than the old
| one.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Bye, Frank

Sorry, I was too quick on the reply.

I scan my system thoroughly and then exclude...

%WINDIR%\java
C:\Program Files\java
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\chrome
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\chrome

Java Jars in the program locations do slow the system down.
However, *never* exclude the Java Jars in their respective cache locations.
David
2005-05-17 16:49:48 UTC
I agree with you, 100%

Very annoying...

I was given a refund by Macafee after describing similar problems.
Hi,
Bye, Frank
f***@isam-ag.de
2005-05-26 09:06:47 UTC
Post by David
I agree with you, 100%
I'm "glad" to see that I'm not the only one with this problem. When I
talked to NAI support they said, that this problem would be completely
new for them.

I'm wondering if this is just a problem on Pentium III systems or even
on P4 systems.
Post by David
I was given a refund by Macafee after describing similar problems.
Can you give me an support incident ID so that I can refer to this?
Maybe linking the support cases may wake them up..

Bye, Frank
David H. Lipman
2005-05-26 13:38:09 UTC

Post by David
I was given a refund by Macafee after describing similar problems.

| Can you give me an support incident ID so that I can refer to this?
| Maybe linking the support cases may wake them up..
|
| Bye, Frank

The problem is processor indepent and ENGINE dependent. I noticed the Java slowdown problem
with I think ENGINE v4320. It may have been a previous ENGINE but, I can't remember.
f***@isam-ag.de
2005-05-28 16:31:43 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
The problem is processor indepent and ENGINE dependent. I noticed the Java slowdown problem
with I think ENGINE v4320. It may have been a previous ENGINE but, I can't remember.
That's interesting, as VSE 7.0 works fine for me with engine 4400 for
example. On my system the performance problem is dependend on the VSE
version, not the engine version.

Maybe VSE 8 works fine with older engines, of course.

Bye, Frank
David H. Lipman
2005-05-28 16:37:56 UTC
From: <***@isam-ag.de>

| That's interesting, as VSE 7.0 works fine for me with engine 4400 for
| example. On my system the performance problem is dependend on the VSE
| version, not the engine version.
|
| Maybe VSE 8 works fine with older engines, of course.
|
| Bye, Frank

I have noticed it with VirusScan v4.5.1 SP1, v7.1E and v8.0i.

That's why I scan once then exclude...

otto
2005-07-22 17:21:17 UTC
Post by David
I agree with you, 100%
Very annoying...
I was given and refund by Macafee after describing similar problems.
Post by f***@isam-ag.de
Hi
[...]
Hello, Frank

That to your problem I would advise to change the antivirus, because if
support does not know as to correct a problem - it does not follow to rely
on him. I would advise you install Norton internet security 2005 or Norton
Antivirus 2005, on own experience checked. At every error Symantec will say
you how to correct her.
otto